Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Comments?

Is this a class 8 truck or smaller?

Plenty of headroom in the cabover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-Freightliner-FL-70-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #2

Definitely smaller; it's a Class 7, as all FL70's are.
Actually, when you remove an axle from a tandem setup, TECHNICALLY it becomes a Class 7 due to its lower GVW.
The reason FL70's are "true" Class 7's is because they all use a medium-duty engine and drivetrain, as do FL80's. The FL112 (same cab and style of hood) is a true Class 8 due to the use of heavy-duty engines and drivetrains.
Does this help you?
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #3

Not a bad deal?? I think the way they load that bike is a little Hilligan though. I be darned if I would put any of my scoots in a sitiuation like that. But then again they are from the South. Does that look like just a reguler cargo body that was converted. To anybody else?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
Not a bad deal?? I think the way they load that bike is a little Hilligan though. I be darned if I would put any of my scoots in a sitiuation like that. But then again they are from the South. Does that look like just a reguler cargo body that was converted. To anybody else?
It looks like a movers truck body to me but I'm no expert...

the loading of the bike method looks unusual.

sort of like what you'd expect if you were on a jobsite and a group of guys were trying to figure out how to get the bike into the truck using the lift and you were expected to do it alone...

may look odd, but if it works and nothing breaks or you don't fall, they were successful.

as long as the straps don't break all is well...
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
Actually, when you remove an axle from a tandem setup, TECHNICALLY it becomes a Class 7 due to its lower GVW.
The reason FL70's are "true" Class 7's is because they all use a medium-duty engine and drivetrain, as do FL80's. The FL112 (same cab and style of hood) is a true Class 8 due to the use of heavy-duty engines and drivetrains.
Does this help you?
Gary
yes Gary, your wisdom is helpful...

so a class 8 becomes a class 7 when you remove one of the two rear axles but remains a class 8 if you keep the two rear axles...?

now if I can only remember all of this...

was warpath's first rig a class 8 or 7? did it start off with 2 rear axles and one was removed or did it only have one rear axle and if it only had one rear axle, was it a class 8...?

is there such a thing as a class 8 with one rear axle?

thankyou.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #6

....It is a furniture van with a lot of miles on it.....speed is poor...... 7 speed bad tranny- they fail a lot....3126 re-manufactured is good with warrranty and receipts......lift gate is "different" and would kill me dead but someone with a little welding could add a side ways lift attachment lift and be a LOT safer.....flat front means 6mpg at best maybe less at X-way speeds......40k is too much-just from pix...geofkaye
Old 02-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
Does this help you?
Gary

so a class 8 becomes a class 7 when you remove one of the two rear axles but remains a class 8 if you keep the two rear axles...? Remember the key word was "technically". It's actually a Class 8 thew whole time

was warpath's first rig a class 8 or 7? did it start off with 2 rear axles and one was removed or did it only have one rear axle and if it only had one rear axle, was it a class 8...?Yes, it was a Class 8 with one axle removed at the converter's shop(Showhauler)
is there such a thing as a class 8 with one rear axle? Yes, usually as tractors that pull sets of doubles

thankyou. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're welcome!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BravestDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
Does this help you?
Gary

so a class 8 becomes a class 7 when you remove one of the two rear axles but remains a class 8 if you keep the two rear axles...? Remember the key word was "technically". It's actually a Class 8 the whole time

was warpath's first rig a class 8 or 7? did it start off with 2 rear axles and one was removed or did it only have one rear axle and if it only had one rear axle, was it a class 8...?Yes, it was a Class 8 with one axle removed at the converter's shop(Showhauler)
is there such a thing as a class 8 with one rear axle? Yes, usually as tractors that pull sets of doubles

thankyou. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're welcome! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #9

....I thing it was an 8 but I could be wrong....have to look at the door plate.....geofkaye