Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #1

How much do you think the truck cost used w 500k miles? How much is a new truck? How much do you think the conversion cost?

What do you think about putting a new conversion cabin on a used chasis versus a new chasis?

http://racingjunk.com/post/839875/07...onversion.html

New Showhauler Conversion. Century Class Chassis,Twin Screw,460 Detroit,10 Speed Autoshift,22.5's,New Tires,Converted w/500k on chassis. Has 2 year warranty. Back Up Camera,New Seats,Grille and Steering wheel. Wood Floors,Mirror upgrades,2/AC's,Fantastic Vents w/remotes,200 Gal. Fresh Water,10k Diesel generator,2000 watt Inverter,32" Flat Screen TV on Wall Slide,DVD,CD,VCR,In Motion Satellite,Big Foot Leveling System,Super Slide,Leather Couches. All the luxury and comfort you'd expect from a Showhauler. 3000 non smoker,non pet miles since conversion.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #2

Hey 'Dog-
A new truck could cost close to 100 grand, when you can buy a used truck with 700 thousand miles for about 20 or 25 grand, and you would still have at least 200 thousand miles of life on the engine because you aren't going to be working it nearly as hard as it did when hauling 80,000# gross weight. You only need a new truck if you are wealthy and plan to drive a few hundred thousand miles in the next few years, which I kinda doubt.
Gary
PS- the truck w/500 grand in miles might have cost 30-35 grand in dollars

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #3

Thanks Gary,

So if we figure the truck cost $30-35k for a used version with 500k miles on it, and the seller is listing the machine at $160k, do you think the conversion cost $125k, more, less...?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

Hey 'Dog!

Hard to say; it probably cost more. Anytime you sell a used RV, NO MATTER WHO built it, you will lose money. These things do NOT appreciate, so considering one as any kind of investment is pure folly. So that's why I advocate buying a used truck, even late model, as it has already taken a HUGE depreciation hit, and you will probably never put on the miles as fast as a full-time trucker would, so even if it has "only" 2 or 300,000 miles of life left before overhaul, you're in good shape. I'm thinking of finding me a nice Kenworth T-800 for my future rig.... I think they just look soooooo BITCHIN' !
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #5

Gary,

How about a 1999 Kenworth T2000 3 axle with a 2003 Showhauler conversion?

http://racingjunk.com/post/841494/20...onversion.html