View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
porky69

Last summer I had to replace the Michelin XZA2 Energy 295/80R22.5 that the dealer put on my coach when I bought it 6yrs ago due to dry rot(only have about 10,000miles on them. The dealer chain my employer uses had some Continental HSR2 that they were willing to sell me for $200/tire due to stopping carrying Continental (reg $700cdn, I am in Canada), now I am NOT a fan of either the dealer chain or Continental tires in general, but I figured that since they were so cheap and I put so few miles on my coach that I would take a chance on them. Made it 2miles and took them back, front end shook so bad that the dishes in the cupboard rattled and you could visually see the front of the coach moving up and down, tried rebalancing, no go, ordered up some Michelin X Coach HL Z's (approx $800cdn each) once they were on, no more vibration, balanced out easier too. Lesson learned. Don't buy cheap steer tires and don't deal with people/businesses you don't like. Talked to the tire shop I normally deal with and told him what happened and he said "doesn't surprise me" and showed me his price on the Michelins (notably cheaper). He has access to pretty much every brand out there and unless the customer is adamant about being cheap he highly suggests Michelin and/or Toyo for motorcoaches, trucks are different. He says off-shore stuff is hit and miss, I personally had good luck in the past with Double Coin drives and trailer tires in the past but that was mostly non-pavement use.

As far as the extra weight capacity you probably need it, my Haulmark/Coronado is just over 15,000lb on the steer axle. I am sure your Renegade is up there too. If you don't need the extra capacity check with Michelin and based on your tires and axle weight they can tell you what pressure you can safely run and in theory get a softer ride.

From what I have read/been told, on the "Fuel efficient Rated" tires the top ones might save you 8-10% on fuel over regular tires (in other words if you are getting 10mpg(I am close to 8 with mine, so the number gap is even smaller) and a top rated fuel efficient tire "might" get you 11mpg and a mid rated tire might get you 5% better mpg or 10.5mpg) so unless you drive 100,000miles a year you probably won't notice the difference, long haul truckers would.