View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
hoodoo valley

Those vents are indeed odd then!

It'd never work here because our Winters get down below zero and a few times I've seen it more than 30 below zero F. It's snowed here in June before, several times. We do use that concept in our homes roof systems where they put vents under the eaves and at the roof ridgeline to allow vapor (moisture) to escape that has come from the living space. It also serves to remove heat in our Summers, from the attic, since the air movement is above the insulation, outside of the living space. This was kind of the rational for applying this concept to my RV, is that it's really common place here. Do you have to do that with your homes too, or just the RVs? For a time, we had what we call "Super Good Cents) which was a system intended to make homes more energy efficient. It moved to more stringient building codes and morphed into "Northwest Energy code" and "Advanced Framing / Green building". Homes became so airtight, they had to start installing fans that were on timers, to pump outside fresh air into the closets of the house, and they vented into the closets so that you didn't have drafts that could be felt. Homes were so airtight that they would actually pressurize them with a fan, to be sure that they passed inspection and airtightness. This practice has long been abandoned now, although some of the core principles of the code still remain, but homes are not quite so airtight anymore so as to require pumping in fresh air from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
No, I was speaking about water damp inside the living space due to breathing, shower water damp, cooking damp.

Here in Europe, to get a RV title, we have to have sufficient ventilation, low an high, to be sure fresh air comes into the living space, to avoid moisture and possible suffocation. Those high and low openings have to be permanent open, they may not be closed in any way.

But, your point is important, some reefer "sandwich" boxes made out of ply or polyurethane foam covered with polyester inside and out, may get water into the wood when damaged, and rot happens.

In my case, my box is aluminum panels riveted to steel brackets, it is watertight, I tested it before I insulated it, but I didn't let a space between the outer aluminum skin and the polyurethane sheets I've put between the brackets. The insulation (PUR sheeting) I used cannot rot.

My truck stays undercover when parked, is fully ventilated by those openings, I never have had water damp in the living space.

the low ventilation happens near the main door, you may see the grille at the feet of the door on the picture under, and the high ventilation goes through three skylights on the roof, which are built to allow air to go through
hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote