View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
hoodoo valley

Note taking time.... school is in session. Box truck to RV school that is. When you speak of ventilation, are you talking about between the insulation and the outer skin of the box? This is where I'm really pondering things on my conversion. I'm thinking of leaving a 1/2 inch space between my floor of the truck (wood laminated) and my closed cell insulation. So the floor joists (2X6) will be attached to the trucks floor, and I was planning on notching a hole at the ends of each joist and alternating the holes, then having a fan that can be snapped on, or run on a timer. So in the event that moisture gathers on that wood floor, I can circulate air through and get things dry, or keep it dry. The ceiling will be the same. 2X6 framed just below my aluminum roof, with closed cell insulation, and a fan to move air over the top of the closed cell, and prevent condensation. Walls will have a space between the closed cell and the outer skin of the box, but no forced air ventilation at that point. I also plan to coat the original wood floor of the truck with fiberglass resin to help prevent moisture damage to the floor decking. Am I on the right path in my thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I do agree with most you point out.

Indeed, to avoid moisture inside the box, you have to have a permanent ventilation, the bigger the better, and get used to those cold air flows getting in.

This permanent ventilation may not be closed, it always has to remain open, even when cold outside.

A lower and a higher ventilation is needed, and they should be put on opposite sides (i.e. the lower on the right wall, the higher on the roof or on the left wall) to be sure air flows easily inside the box.

Electricity can be kept to a minimum, do we have to have an A/C installation or a 180 litres compression fridge/freezer? Led lights are sufficient to light the entire inside of the RV, it uses only a 1/10 of bulb lights.

I do not agree with what follows:

- windows : look at the picture, my truck near the sea, windows let you see what happens outside and you may enjoy the view.

- shower : a 7 litres (2 gallons) water pump is more than enough to get a comfy shower. Using a thermostatic tap makes you economize a lot of water. The water heater (instant gas, electric, whatever) has to be near the taps, and not a 15 feet away, as I already have seen it. It means either that the kitchen sink has to be near the bathroom.

- windmills and tesla batteries are extremely expensive to some, solar panels get cheaper with the years.
hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote