View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
jbeech

As it happens, my wife Lynn has had many of the good ideas for this project. For example, it was her idea for the French doors in back. And hers once again to make a compact office within the sleeper portion of the cab. This space could, in fact, with a bit of judicious planning be the area where we sleep. To a degree it depends on how well the HVAC of the APU functions because these are typically meant for the dog box versus a 24' foot cargo box.

If with experience we determine the APU doesn't offer sufficiently cooling for the 24' box (the reason I plan to co-locate a 9-12K BTU split unit powered off the generator), then I simply relocate the ventilation head to the dog box where it will surely provide sufficient cooling. Note; the dog box is about 7'x6' and almost 8' high, or approximately 15% of the volume of the cargo box.

Speaking of the dog box, at present there are a couple of single size mattresses deployed in bunk fashion against the back wall. This set up offer sufficient space to stand before them. This, in part, is to ease access to the two closets whilst permit another person to climb into the 2nd bunk without stepping all over someone in the lower bunk (the idea behind these set ups is typically that of a two-man over-the-road driving team).

However, because I like having my woman next to me when I sleep, I've measured and have determined I can fit a double (full) mattress with ease. This is OK but a bit tight, or put another way, I don't love her so much I want to touch all night! However, if I sacrifice the two closets, a queen size mattress would technically fit (but just barely because the edge would be up against the read of driver's seat). Thus, I actually do have more possibilities than merely an air mattress within the main box when it comes to sleeping arrangements. This is why I have been relaxed about what we're going to do with respect to sleeping if the air mattress turns out to be a poor idea.

Plan B is always a good idea!

By the way, these kinds of trucks are referred to as expediters because they are deployed for the purpose of delivering cargo which must be somewhere very quickly. For example, they are especially common servicing oil fields because a stoppage is measured in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per day, meaning cargo delivery cost is no object when obtaining a piece of equipment, or a failed part that weighs 10K pounds must be there quickly. Around here FedEx expediters similar to mine are common.

What is unique to mine is the presence of a tag axle. It is present because I purchased the truck from a friend who manufactures bronze statues. These mass 10-30K pounds and they used the truck to effect delivery across the country. When he mentioned looking into buying a new truck and how little they were offering on the old one in trade, we made a deal for me to buy it instead. Of course it helped knowing they had just a few months previous spent $16K replacing the engine at the dealer!

Anyway, while I don't foresee any use for the tag, it's not in my way. Thus, I am leaving it there even though it's heavy. However, I do have a standing offer from another friend (who runs a few dump trucks) for its sale if I ever change my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
FedEx-custom-critical.jpg  
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote