View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
scapegoatwax

Default Trucks similar to "Stepvans", how tall are they? Is a roof raise possible?

Hey!

So, again I find myself looking at the nomadic, camper life. I also recently got pretty inspired by the idea of converting a vehicle into an Electric Vehicle, and I think the marriage of these two projects would be using something like what I've come to understand is called a "Stepvan."

The typically square "delivery trucks" that usually have a "garage door" in the back, and sliding doors for the cab. From what I can tell, they're often made primarily of aluminum or even Fiberglass, which would suggest they're a lot lighter than a vehicle made of steel... weight being a huge factor in the efficiency of an EV.

I'm trying to learn more about this type of vehicle and see if maybe it's what I'm looking for. I was originally looking at buses since they can be had for so cheap, but most of them also weigh like 20,000lbs, so... maybe not feasible to power with a DIY electric setup.

The main thing I'm concerned about at the moment are the height of stepvans: how tall do they get? And, is it reasonable to do a roof raise on any particular makes/shapes of step vans? I know a lot of buses have relatively "square" points that make a "straight" roof raise possible.

It seems like it's hard to find a place where you can cut a "straight" line and just add a ~1' panel of aluminum or steel (and structure, of course) to increase the height of the box.

https://imgur.com/a/Hntv5Q7
scapegoatwax is offline   Reply With Quote