View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #113
petrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
I rode with two truckers and they showed me how to float the gears but they both were old timers and long ago forgot the mechanics and shifted by sound and feel. After studying the rpm/speed shift point tutorials as well as the double clutching technique online I now understand much better what is going on. I am an instrument rated pilot so can quickly scan the gauges without getting fixated on the gauges instead of the road. Will install little cheat labels on tach and speedo as markers for shift/gear targets to hit. Will practice on back roads until I get it and I will get it because I have no choice! I have to get it and quick!
Those seasoned drivers will make it look deceptively easy. Then again, I guess it is easy to them.

I only drove three months over the road before my hip gave out. Even after three months, I was still double clutching whenever the truck was heavy.

Clean accurate downshifting still seems like a bit of an art form to me. Even my 3 Million mile plus trainer scraped one every now and then. Matching gear, RPM and ground speed has to be done by sound and feel, nobody looks at the gauges.

Save the mountains for last
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote