View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #108
ItalGerBrit

Default Auto to manual conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Wow, that's a pretty big undertaking to get rid of an autoshift trans, isn't it? My son is a former truck driver. He started driving trucks at 18 years old. He could row the gears with the best of them. He used to harass me for buying a truck with a "girly" transmission in it. I did try to drive his tractor a few times. Made it up to about 7th gear. Definitely an art to it. Good luck!
~9K undertaking because it was a two pedal. Much easier to convert had it been a three pedal auto. I gave up on it because over the last two years every sensor, harness, TCU, XY shifter, etc had been changed and the previous owner had gone through every all gnd, pos, cables etc several times. No less than 7 Freightliner dealers had a shot at it. The last dealer said that autoshifts can be a nightmare. No shit Sherlock! The Eaton factory techs suggested that changing the XYshifter and TCU again "might" fix it. That trans could have gotten me killed locking up in 10th. Like having that happen in heavy traffic on a freeway in the middle of a city which it did twice! Hell with it. It is gone! Looking forward to the challenge of learning how to float gears like the big boys do. I suspect it will take many hours of practice.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote