View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
38Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomland4x4 View Post
IEven in Georgia the "truck must enter weigh station" light came on and we rolled past.
I was a little nervous as we are over width by about a foot, did this trip two years in a row no issues, but you never know.
Never enter weigh stations myself. I have gotten the "must enter weigh station" light many times on various interstates and never have actually entered one. It is obvious I am a motorhome once anybody in the weigh station sees the side profile. Towing a car trailer with an old car, or flat-towing further emphasizes being non-commercial. I have never had anyone come after me for driving by any weigh station. I am not over width or over length with my std two-axle car trailer. I would be if I tow my 26 ft enclosed, but right now haven't tried that yet. I would still be around 75 ft total, so not real excessive, but certainly over 65 ft. One key is no signage of any type on any of my trailers.

In my old state prior to moving (New Mexico) I had a class E license endorsement. This allowed to drive any vehicle over 26K for non-commercial use. That seemed an easy way to avoid trouble if ever questioned. However in my new state of Ohio there is no such thing. However in the Ohio rulebook it specifically exempts RV's from the weight issue; I keep a copy of that rulebook in the MH. So I now have just a std license with no special endorsements like CDL or the non-commercial over 26K weight.

Here is the crazy thing about the NM Class E. No written test or driving test required. Just fill out a form and provide a reason "drive RV with GVWR of 45K" or similar. Pay $10 for new license to be issued and done.