View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
scapegoatwax

Default "Ratcheting" Rooftop on a box truck?

Hey!

A while back I asked on here if it was feasible to raise the roof of a box truck. I've made it back to really wanting to move into full-time RVing in a camper conversion and, again, I'm considering a box truck pretty heavily.

I have been looking for inspiration in more radical tiny home designs and things of that sort, and recently had an idea that is maybe more practical than a straight-up roof raise. In my last thread, I mentioned that I really like the idea of a "loft" where I can sleep in a cab-over attic, and so I wanted to rasie the roof of a box truck with a cab-over attic...

Now, I'm wondering if, instead, I could create some sort of ratcheting rooftop that can be raised when I'm parked and lowered when it's time to hit the road. Similar to what I've seen in a lot of camper vans.

The execution I thought of was some sort of ratcheting mechanism with posts that can double as posts for stability and channels for my wiring and whatever accessories go along with roof-mounted fixtures. Has anyone done this? Any ideas on how I could execute on it?

Thanks!
scapegoatwax is offline   Reply With Quote