View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
xyobgyn

Default Insurances besides Geico?

Anyone else getting insurance for their conversion?

Thanks for the recommendation. I think for the short term, I'll be happy to at least insure it in anyway possible, even if just as the truck, and not as an RV. I'll call Geico and get an estimate.

In consideration of the "car into truck" issue, I'm leaning towards a hybrid solution.... and trying to recall the diagramming of forces and vectors etc to make sure its all safe.

I'm thinking of using 12 foot aluminum ramps, the pinned variety seen at Discount Ramp. They are about 50 lb or so, can come set up to be pinned (ie hinged too) at one end, and I can request a snub nose end at the other vs the more delicate and less "angle flexible" knife edge. 5000 per axle, more than adequate.

I'd fasten them to the liftgate about 2 feet from truck side, the furthest out that can handle the full rating of 3300 lb. (Any closer to the end of the 72 gate, and the rating decreases quickly)

At the other end, I'd modify the ramps to take a steel 1.5 inch or so rod through and through to prevent twisting of the ramps. I think a pair of electric 3-4000 lb winches mounted at the top of the truck, nearly 9 feet over the deck should have enough angle going to the end of the ramps to pull nicely and take up the "back half" of the lifting process.

I know the winches are rated for "rolling weight" and I'm pulling from an angle, trying to lift vertically... I have to do some review to recall the math on just how much this cuts into their ability to lift. Adjacent is 14 feet, Opposite will range from 9 feet at deck to 13 feet on the ground, and the hypotenuse range and angles can be calculated from that, along I suppose with some vectors that tell me what I need.

Appreciate constructive advice, especially other insurance companies.
xyobgyn is offline   Reply With Quote