View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
xyobgyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Are you trying to get RV registration? If so, then you will likely lose the rear seat. The pass through will need some kind of flexible rubber boot. Could the over-cab are be made into a bunk for sleeping?
Yes, absolutely will try and get RV registration. I plan on removing the rear bench seat, and if I can not find a suitable really affordable pair of buckets that match the interior and fit nicely for restricted extended cab vs crew cab, I will likely custom order a pair from a site like "Shop4seats dot com". It looks like I could spec a seat there 17 wide, on a frame of my choosing, in material to match.
That site lets you spec out a jump seat meant for front row, but shortish given front row accommodation for shifters. I'm sure some extra research might yield a bucket from the rear of a medium size SUV too, but my quick look shows exclusively 60/40 rear bench set ups for extended cab. But I suspect with more energy I can find something off the shelf used. (but with shipping items this size, custom might compete price wise too). Yes, Cab over, or Granny attic would be mattress space.

Quote:
With your height limit, you might look into a front mounted A/C. Maybe a refer unit like used on truck trailers? That might be tough with my over-cab bunk mentioned.
I can see two possible ways to go: Possibly short term, just for quick RV registration, a wall between garage and LQ, with home window AC unit at the top, with its "outside" in the garage. I'd have to have a large section of the bottom hinged for access to strap down the race car.... alternatively, yes, something like the "refer" units... but I'd look for some way to duct the output towards the middle of the space... Not sure whats out there that lends itself to ducting. I'd love an affordable heat and air set up, we do race/DE events in autumn, some chilly mornings at the track, I've seen snow at Mid Ohio in October.

Quote:
How long is your box? With 18 ft needed for the car, you seem to have a pretty tight living area. I would put the tool box at the front of the car area, and use ramps to put the car front end over the box. Build a storage area at the back above the rear of the car for your spare tires and parts. I don't think you have enough space to also take a golf cart or similar. Maybe a small pit bike that could go right in front of the toolbox.
You're thinking outside the box, I really appreciate that. If I understand your pitch, its more or less that I continue the ramp angle from ground to deck height straight on in, and 18 feet or so in, the ramps are like 5 feet up in the air....and the car is stowed at that angle for transport.

I've seen external ramp set ups like that, where cars are carried that way in the open. Kind of scares me to engineer something that will be absolutely safe to keep the car up at that angle.... I worry about CG of the rig.... and executing the design properly. It is food for thought.

Part of me wonders, why not use the height, and instead install a 4 post lift in the back.....it holds a platform. Wheel the cart onto that, centered. Fasten it down. Keep other spares on that platform, tires etc... and then just press a button, it goes up in the air, and I keep the car flatfish underneath. I could convert to a slightly shorter tool box, or a pair of them if need be, and then the lift platform could be 3-4 feet from ceiling leaving well, 5-6 feet headroom, more than enough for car. not much for me, 5-10 to walk around underneath.

Someone suggested I peruse Pirate 4x4 for ideas, more full garage RV combo there?

I really appreciate the dialogue, thank you! Lots of experience in here, that is for sure. I probably spend an hour or more each day drooling over the hands-work I see here, gleaning some really good ideas.

Alex.
xyobgyn is offline   Reply With Quote