View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #82
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
I disconnected, charged, and tested the batteries and they are all good. But, the house batteries(?chassis) seem to run down quickly when not on shore power so one or more things is not right for sure. My previous MH(American Tradition) had a converter/inverter with a Big Boy switch that automatically flipped between house and chassis batteries when on shore, engine, or gen power keeping both banks always topped up. Sure wish I had that now! I too keep mine plugged into 50 amp power so Bush Pilot's observation is probably correct because connections are crossed. Sure wish I had a schematic but going from component to component should work.
Thanks for the help and keep your ideas coming. Would photos of my battery compartment help you guys to sort this mess out?
which Freightliner model/chassis again?

every truck I've ever seen has the engine batteries on the drivers size - unusual that someone would have moved them to the other side.

it sounds like the house batteries are shot (if they won't hold a charge) - sounds like you know this, but replace them all when its time.

I have separate dc to ac inverter, and never use it...but of course there are Xantrex (brand) Freedom (model) etc units that have all 3 functions (Invert, Convert & Charger)

the inverter chargers are cheap....even for best quality units.

if the converter is turned on, even w/out a load, it'll still consume the batteries.

IMO charging the chassis (and even the house) batteries when on shore power is unnecessary....If the batteries are in good condition & hold their charge obviously.

when I'm in storage (even w/ shore power connected) I switch ALL the batteries off & use external battery maintainers - One BatterMinder per bank.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote