View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
38Chevy454

Thought of something else, the Class A was full air susp front and rear; my T/C is air only in the rear. My front is conventional leafs. The full air ride in the class A is probably a bit softer. That is subjective, I prefer a bit harder ride with more road feel myself.

MPG at 70 is probably around 7.5. I did not check specifically, but the display showing instantaneous mpg seemed to vary around that range. Also that is approx what it got for mileage based on filling up, although it was not full when I started. Say 1850 miles and approx 240 gals at the same fuel level equals 7.7 mpg. It would go higher in the 9-10 range when I went slower like 60-65 range on some 2 lane highways. I certainly did not have the bad mpg some class A people experience.

Interesting side note, the Class A has around 140-150 gal fuel tank. Fill from both sides, but only 1 large tank. My T/C has the two saddle tanks like typical trucks and I have around 180 gal capacity.

Class A trans is a 6 speed, and I will say that in a drag race the class A would outrun mine. Some due to lost time with more and slower shifts in mine. Some due to weight differences, my T/C is a little heavier. RPM at 70 mph would be around 1850-1900 in the class A, I turn around 1500 at the same speed. I coincidentally also get approx 7.5 mpg at 70 mph. I like having the extra gears, but I would not say the Class A was having problems with incorrect gear.

I have heard slang term for our T/C with the overhead bunk called "moving vans" by some of the Class A folks. However when it comes down to it, I think many go with the Class A because it is just what everyone else does. The herd mentality at work.