View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
38Chevy454

Default Thoughts and Observations on Driving a Luxury Class A DP

This past week I helped my bro-in-law out by driving his class A motorhome from CO to FL, about 1850 miles total. Towed a car, and my sister-in-law also drive a vehicle caravanning with me. His is a nice luxury 42 ft, tag axle, 400 hp rated Cummins (ISM I think, but did not check close enough), Allison 6 speed auto trans. It is actually a 2006 model but very good condition and only around 42K miles. He bought it with 23K three years ago and it was always stored inside. It's a Travel Supreme, which was a pretty high end model, but they did not survive the 2008-2009 downturn. He snowbirds each winter. He had some work commitments and could not drive it himself. I had help from friends driving my cars and stuff out for my recent move; so time to return the favor and pay it forward, so I volunteered to drive it for him. I retired little over 2 months ago, so I had the time available.

So anyway, here are some of my thoughts and observations driving it:
1. It really does feel like driving a bus.
2. Also feels like being in a greenhouse with the huge windshield and large side windows. Dash air has a hard time keeping driver's area cool compared to my T/C.
3. I miss my air seat.
4. The Allison auto works pretty good and shifts smoother than my automated manual.
5. I don't like having only one door on pass side to get in, not only for driving, but to also get into the motorhome. My T/C has the two cab doors, and the side entry door into the motorhome area.
6. Four slides opens up real big inside, wish I had more than the two my T/C has.
7. Engine torque was not bad, it cruises effortlessly at 70 mph. But the smaller engine did slow down more on longer hills. My T/C just pours on the torque and does not slow down nearly as much.
8. Real quiet up front driving, not that my T/C is loud, but the class A is quieter with the pusher engine configuration.

I can see where people like the Class A's. Not my style and I still prefer my T/C. Not sure if more people would buy the T/C if they did a comparison. They are the same in some ways, different in others.