View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Ttnj

So as a follow up for all those that like to bend the rules or the folks that are Stickler for the rules........

When I had my previous set up I lived in Michigan and applied for a farm endorsement. This allowed me to operate a vehicle with airbrakes and pull any size trailer as long as I stayed within 150 air miles of my farm. Some will argue with me and tell me this wasn't possible but I managed to find a loophole that allowed me to drive that truck and trailer anywhere I wanted to in the United States, without a CDL. How? It was quite simple when you understood what a CDL stood for, as long as everything on board belong to me and was not for sale I was a not for hire vehicle and fell under no more rules and regulations then the Griswold family on a family vacation. That was back in 2008 2009 timeframe and the rules have since changed.

Now I live in Ohio and from what I could gather the rules now stipulate that if you are driving a vehicle that weighs over 26,000 pounds you must have a CDL class a to operate. If you want to pool a commercial trailer, one that is defined again is having a gross vehicle weight rating of over 26,000 pounds, you then also must take the combination skills test.
I have read a few threads that indicate to me that it is possible to have this commercial trailer that is 45 feet in length re-registered to an RV trailer. Again, I am building the trailer to be an RV anyways so all of the requirements such as a stovetop a refrigerator etc. will be Met. I have also read other state that if your truck and trailer is under 65 feet that it can be registered as an RV as well. I don't have the room in the truck to go through the effort of putting in all the necessities for an RV, never mind the fact that the RV laws state that if the vehicle is over 26,000 pounds it cannot have a fifth wheel hitch attached and be considered an RV.
So my question is simply if I am successful in registering the trailer as an RV, can I then only take the written airbrakes endorsement for the truck to be legal?
I hope I explained this correctly and look forward to what I'm sure will be very in degrees of opinions.
Ttnj is offline   Reply With Quote