View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatwax View Post
Yeah, I'm not afraid of learning to drive a stick I just haven't... and I haven't needed to. I definitely wouldn't want to learn to drive stick in a box truck. haha

Interesting (and scary) those issues with the towed Prius. That's something that I'll have to research... maybe particular kinds of trailers could help combat that?

6mpg is lower than I've been accounting for, but it's still an acceptable moving cost. Might as well finance for 5mpg and hope to do better.

Does any of this info lead me towards any specific kinds of trucks?
A Manu-matic truck is common these days. Personally I would avoid a (torque converter type) automatic - while their strong, I never hear anyone say anything good about the gearing...and theyre gonna be REALLy expensive to repair.

Buy a stick car, or find a REALLY REALLY good patient friend that owns one and buy 'em LOTS of beer (they might need it) as payment while teaching you.

Ive taught our 3 kids and at least 3 or more others to drive a stick.

regarding the mpg, it can be all over the map and I can't imagine you'd get anything better than 6 so out of a converted UHaul or similar box truck.

I won't even tell you some of the mpg that I've gotten because it doesnt seem to be the norm.

furthering the toad discussion - flat towing is easiest, but you can't back up when youre flat towing & you can't back up w/ a tow dolly either.

A tow dolly (while smaller than a conventional trailer) is more maintenance / tires bearings, brakes, lights, etc to worry with and storage can be a concern too.

IMO a flat trailer, has only a few advantages over a dolly - STORAGE isn't one of 'em...a Flat Trailer can be reversed while hitched, but they usually are nearly double the maintain (tires, brakes) and theyre a lot less maneuverable IMO.

Don't forget to budget for tires every 5 - 6 years regardless of the miles (go price a set of 22.5 inch Michelin XZE's)
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote