View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
scapegoatwax

Question Is it feasible to increase the height of the box or the size of an over-cab "attic?"

Hey folks!

I'm most interested in box trucks/straight trucks, and I'd really like to find one with a cutaway to the driver's cab. On top of that, I'd really like to have an over-cab "attic" to use as a 'bedroom.'

I probably won't get a used Uhaul, but this sort of build of truck appeals to me the most, so this is effectively what I'm visualizing:

Assuming I wanted to add enough height to comfortably sleep or sit up in the attic area, would that be possible? Would it be feasible? Would I want to install some extra support for the attic area?

If I'm increasing the height of that portion of the box, does it make sense to also increase the height of the rest of the box? Or should I taper back down to the original height? Or something else?

Regarding the cab cutaway, I have heard that there are "conversion kits" to make the process a little easier and reduce the margin of error. I don't mind a DIY solution, though, if it saves me a dime and isn't particularly dangerous. (Not compromising structural integrity, etc.) However, a lot of cabs either have a "middle seat" and/or a window to peek into the box. Can a cutaway be installed in these sorts of cabs?

Examples:

Thanks!
scapegoatwax is offline   Reply With Quote