View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #62
DeepVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
What rear gearing are you running?
BTW, it looks like I have a 3.70 gear in my axles according to my door tag.

I've had some interesting recent discussions on a FB page for Detroit engines. We used quite a bit of oil on our trips last year, about 3-gallons for 10K miles. A lot of guys responded that our rig is overpowered for the load and that we're running it too softly and glazing the cylinder walls. There's a lot more to this but the glazing came up after I was asking them what was a good RPM to run these engines at under load. Although the glazing concerns have some merit there are other potential causes for our oil consumption, turbo and air compressor. Our issue seems to be due to a faulty air compressor. The potential glazing issues had and still have me concerned but hopefully it's not and will not be an issue. One thing I've learned from all of this is to limit idle time with these engines and don't be afraid to lean on the engines and make some power. We also had some discussions on oil type. We've been running Rotella-T since it's easy to get in 10-gallon quantities at Sam's Club. Almost everyone said ditch the Rotella and switch to either Mobil or Delo . I called Interstate Diesel to ask them some questions on our engine rebuild and the guy there said to be careful about switching away from Rotella. He said Rotella has a lot of adhesion and didn't quite say it leaves deposits but did say switching oil brands may release a bunch of stuff that the Rotella is holding in there.
DeepVee is offline   Reply With Quote