View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
FlyingTruck

Default Newbie With Conversion Questions

Hi all,

I'm considering getting an old semi (Kenworth or Peterbilt) to do a conversion of some sort. I'm still figuring out the details of what exactly, and looking for some ideas and info to help guide me on this.

First off, a bit about our needs. We really don't have much for towing needs. We have a boat and a flatbed trailer. Both max out at around 7-8k lbs and use a standard 2" ball. We live on 11 acres and it wouldn't surprise me if we added a gooseneck trailer of some sort eventually. We also need a long-bed pickup bed. Really, these needs could all be filled with a standard 3/4 or 1-ton pickup like I've had many of before and spent a few hundred thousand miles towing with.

But, I also have a feeling we may end up with some larger towing needs, and I also have a desire to have a semi. We have a couple of full dresser Harleys and needs to transport cars, etc. semi-regularly. The flatbed trailer works for hauling cars fine and could be used to haul the motorcycles if I converted it.

I'm planning on something with a sleeper cab to start and would be interested in extending that conversion. To what degree is still up in question. We have 3 kids so it would be nice to have room for 5 normal seats, although I suppose with a pass-through that can be fudged around a bit. I'm open to ideas or thoughts from others with more experience.

In general, I'm thinking I'd like to graft a pickup bed (or build a custom bed of some sort) to the back 8-10 ft or so of a truck (probably convert to a single rear axle if it isn't already) and then build a box that would go between the existing sleeper and the bed to take up the extra space. Ideally this would have a pass-through of some sort, although it could also be used as just storage (perhaps bikes or the like, etc.).

I'm also debating whether to go with cabover or conventional. I like the cabover style and the wider cabin that goes with them, plus the shorter overall length you get. However a lot of people have pointed out to me there's a good reason why you don't see anyone driving cabovers anymore - bad ride and then also difficult to get into the back. I figure I need to check out a few to see what I really want.

I haven't owned a Class 7/8 truck before, but I've got plenty of time towing and have always done my own work. We do all our own projects so capability isn't an issue, but this is a new area to learn about.

I realize this is a fairly nebulous post. So to summarize I'm looking for a few things:

1) Thoughts on adding a pickup bed (or making some sort of bed type setup)
2) Any sort of run-down or basics page for construction of your own box, be it for just storage or a living area
3) Creating some sort of pass-through to an existing sleeper - is it even feasible to do?
4) Thoughts regarding cabover (would be a K100 or 352) vs. conventional (thinking W900 or 359)
5) Any other thoughts

Thanks!
FlyingTruck is offline   Reply With Quote