View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
BravestDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Sounds pretty optimistic. 382 miles at 7 mpg=54.6 gallons of fuel. Times $2.50/gallon is $136.50. So, that leaves $463.50 with a $600 paid ridership. 382 miles, at average speed of 55 mph (is that optimistic too?) is almost 7 hours. Googler says it's almost 6 hours by car. That's border to border too. I don't suppose they load at the city limits and expel everybody at the other city limits. So, let's divide the 7 hour drive by the $463.50. $66.21 per hour. Good wages. If that's all they have to pay. Now how about insurance? Taxes? Maintenance? Loan payments for the $200k rig? This all assumes they're going to fill every bunk on every trip. Hahahaha, good luck there. I wouldn't buy any stock in that company. I hope it works out for them though. One of the many great things about this country. Somebody can come up with an idea and make a bunch of money.
Diesel fuel in California is more like $4 per gallon. 55 gallons x $4 = $220 in fuel alone.

I can think of 2 reasons why a Bus MCI might be a better vehicle. The door is up front which allows a driver to see who's coming in and who's leaving. The engine in the back makes a more efficient use of space for length.

I think the trips are full and you have to reserve in advance. The website says they are ordering 10 more truck conversions so they must be optimistic on ridership.

What is the cost breakdown on your $200,000 estimated price per vehicle? Would that be a used truck with a new box?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote