View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
petrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
I've never seen a stacker with a lounge, but anything is possible.

All it takes for air conditioning is some 120vac source (shore power or generator connection) and a hole in the roof (for the air conditioner/heater).

I don't personally like them but you could add some fold down benches (hung from the side wall) that convert to beds.

I helped a friend of mine add a roof top AC unit to his enclosed race car hauler, pretty simple job - I welded a 1" tube frame to the existing roof "trusses" and we ran the romex to a breaker panel that we also installed. On race weekends that I'm unable to attend with our coach, he pulls the trailer with his truck and sets up a cot in the trailer for track side sleeping in AC/Heated comfort.
If I go with a regular car hauler or a not so tall stacker, I could definitely go that route with a rooftop unit. Unfortunately, many of the stackers are maximum height. The front mount ACs are pretty spendy.

I really want to keep OAL down. I keep going to quaint little campgrounds in little towns with lots of tight turns! My utility trailer is 25' overall. I know I only have three or four trips under my belt with the trailer, but I can't imagine that I could get much more trailer into some of these spots.

Even for short trips, there just isn't enough storage on the truck. Some sort of trailer is definitely needed, but I can't find the perfect combination of space, capacity, and compactness. Big enough to haul our Excursion, light enough to be moved with the Audi in a pinch.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote