View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
85 359 Pete

Default New guy with a question

I just purchased a 85 Peterbuilt that has been stretched and had a 24' living space added. I had a friend tell me about all of the benefits of a class 8 over buying a heavier duty pickup and this thing had the appeal of the classic Pete so I was hooked. The truck was put together by a guy that built drag cars and the fab work seems to be stellar. The bad part is he never got around to finishing the interior. I decided to take on the project of completely redoing the inside of the truck to suit my tastes.

I picked up the truck last week and it seems that I may have hit my first hurtle with it. The seller mentioned how cheap his insurance was and it was pretty much in line with my friends agreed value policy on his FL70 conversion so I didn't question it (my stupidity) turns out he only had liability coverage on it. Now we are running into dead end after dead end trying to find someone that will do loss coverage on it since it was not professionally built. Any recommendations on an insurance company that will take on this thing or am I stuck risking it with only liability? It seems that most companies have no idea how to classify it so they just say they can't cover it or that it's a commercial vehicle and can't go on a personal policy. We have found one company that said they "may" cover it only after seeing photos and it would be much more than we had planned to spend yearly on insurance especially on the small value that we are trying to insure it for.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
85 359 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote