Thread: 4700 lpx build
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
38Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
I guess it would be up to you if you want to section a piece of frame in the middle or extend what you have. Since you desire air suspension I would look for a cut off that has the air springs on it rather than try to remove your springs and bolt the air ride on. You should be able to find out about the pinion angle from your driveshaft supplier. The worst of that would be getting the right wedges. As far as I know the only rule of thumb for the length of the drive shaft is it needs to fit the wheel base. I have seen some so long that there were three carrier bearings on them.
FWIW, I have four carrier bearings in mine, and six U-joints in main driveshaft from trans to fwd differential. Then another two U-joints and single driveshaft connecting the rear-most diff.

I think an air-ride frame section, spliced onto the rear of your existing rails, would be the easiest way to lengthen and get air ride at the same time. Then just remove your springs and diffs, and fab the appropriate crossmembers and carrier bearing supports to connect up the now farther back differentials.