View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
hot rod

They literally unbolt the driveshaft from the rearend so that the truck is not turning the transmission. This can cause serious damage to an automatic. You could get away with a short tow on a manual trans left in neutral, but for a long tow they will still remove the driveshaft. With the modern wheel lift wreckers they only have to get the front wheels 4" or so off the ground for a short tow. For a highway tow they can go higher, but you don't have to worry as much about rear clearance on the highway, smooth road. Either way they have to be careful with the overhang. Any professional wrecker service will have adequate insurance to cover damage to your rig while towing, but you sure don't want to have to use it. Certainly any company that is responding to a AAA call has to have adequate coverage or AAA will not use them.

I had occasion last year to test my AAA premium RV coverage. My 6500 and fifth wheel rig is 30000# and almost 60' long. Broke down in a small town in GA with no semi wrecker in the area. They had a 50 mile drive to get to me, and charged AAA $450 total to tow me the 5 miles to get to where I needed to be. No problem with the coverage, they paid.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote