View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
38Chevy454

I have done both flat-towing and using a std open car trailer. Flat is better since once you get where you are get to where you are going you do not have the trailer to deal with. Second the slight PITA for not being able to really back up with tow bar, a trailer can be backed up. I have backed up with tow bar a short distance (10 ft or less) when near straight, absolutely forget it when turned.

The trailer is good for my hot rods that are not set up for flat-towing, but it takes more time to hook up trailer, load car on trailer, tie down car; and then repeat once you are at destination. Open trailer much easier than enclosed.

As to getting out, your option is climb out window or back hatch/doors. *Some* enclosed trailers have the mid-door so you can get out easier. Most racers with enclosed use a winch to pull the car up into position. You could do similar although a bit harder to kick the front tires to adjust position on your SUV.

To me a dolly is useless. Only good if vehicle is fwd and can't back them up either. All of my cars have rwd, so either car trailer or flat-tow for me.