View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
diverdriver320

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
Has vehicle conversion been re-classified as an RV?

If not, I doubt Good Sam Club will cover it either. What your going though isn't uncommon on truck conversions. It the vehicle is not titled as an RV, you'll need to contact your DMV to get it so. They should have a list of things you'll need to have in place to make it happen. Once it's titled as an RV, you shouldn't have any problems.

It doesn't matter what the vehicle title says it is, its the VIN number that insurance companies use to determine what their having to insure. Once the conversion is complete and certified as an RV, a new VIN will be assigned to the truck defining it as such.

Double check with the insurance company to make sure the VIN number their working with is correct. An single incorrect number or letter can really cause problems in determining what the GVWR is.
It is registered as an RV. I originally opened a policy with Progressive, which covered the previous owner of this conversion. I guess I was unlucky and got an inspector who was having a bad day. Nevertheless, Progressive cancelled my insurance, citing that the cab has to be connected to the living quarters to be considered a motorhome. The title and VIN number matched, and was verified as registered as an RV, but they told me it couldn't be covered (which I thought was odd since the previous owner had carried Progressive on the toter for 2 years without any problems). I will go ahead and check with Good Sam Club and see what they say. Thank you so much for all the feedback. I appreciate your help. If you have any other ideas for carriers, please let me know.
diverdriver320 is offline   Reply With Quote