View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Unfortunately he has suffered a HPFP failure.
When the pump decided it's tired of making 22-30,000 psi, or gets a dose of fuel it doesn't like, it explodes shrapnel all over the place.
It's about the same cost (and less risk) to replace everything vs flushing.
This means........ New fuel tank, lift pump, main lines, water separator, fuel filter,HPFP, distribution regulator, high pressure rail, injectors, return lines, fuel cooler, kenuder valve and enough labor to make the mechanics mortgage payment. I think the cab gets removed in this process?

I wish I was exaggerating.

what years are you talking about? not a 6.0 issue i can tell you that, the pump on the 6.0 is simple, sits in the rear valley, driven off the cam gear and theres really nothing to disintegrate really.

I've been around a lot of 6.0s and never heard of this.

the 6.0 hpop leak down (from the STC fitting) is very common....exhibits itself as extended crank times (required to refill the reservoir to then build the minimum 500psi) until eventually the STC o-rings won't hold the pressure (4000 psi).

if the ICP sensor doesnt see 500psi it won't fire an injector and the engine won't start. if it sees more than 4000 psi it opens a by-pass & both are VERY easily diagnosed symptoms.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote