Thread: Hello from VA
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
We are just south of DC in commuter country.

I confess that I am apprehensive about the 45 footer. I'd love to sit at the wheel on the highway, but I'm not sure getting through town would be much fun. I also don't have any idea of the maintenance costs on those rigs, the likelihood of catastrophic failures, the cost of minor failures, etc.
c'mon youre excursion & trailer combo is at least 45 feet i bet.

as for maintaining a coach - a dynamax won't be any cheaper thats for sure.

our coach is 42 feet - and I've put it in our driveway (narrow street) plenty,
in fact our routine is to pull the coach from our storage - take it to the house, load the food/fridge/kids & dog and go....and i do this while towing the Jeep Wrangler behind us.

Any place a UPS or Fedex (local delivery) truck can go, we can go, 3 more feet would not make it any more difficult....sure it take time to get used to but if you've driven a 35 foot moving van you'll be able to get down ANY residential street.

I drive ours around the little town of Front Royal & Winchester, Va all the time.

Maintenance is low on our coaches! Our coaches are based on Class 8 long haul trucks built to haul 80k lbs for 750k miles w/ little to no maintenance (oil, oil filter & fuel filter changes are about it)....brake shoes or pads that are designed to go 250-500k miles etc....you won't wear your coach out vacationing i'd guarantee it.

500k mile tires...that will age out faster than you can run the tread off 'em.

our ENGINES are larger 12L plus (where most pushers are lucky to get 8.3L)
our transmissions are stout - 12 or 13 speed (automatics that use a conventional dry clutch) - pushers use 6 or maybe 8 speed torque converter based automatics.

almost every pusher i know comes off the factory floor near or AT its GCWR.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote