View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
jakep

Im not looking for something that has already been built. I have a specific floor plan with a very specific garage that I want. I also need a project to keep me busy (for the next 2 years or so).

I now see that I should have given much more info. The coach (and garage) will measures 34'. Looking for a heavy duty truck with tandems. I will also be pulling a 15,000 lb trailer. Overall length will end up being somewhere around 45' or slightly under depending on truck.

So my original questions should have been more like this. I am thinking I would like to be in the 400 hp range. Do you think this will be adequate power? I have no issue driving a standard trans but my wife has never driven a tractor, she is a very capable driver and will currently drive our 38' unit towing a 30' trailer. She is open to the idea of a manual trans but i wonder if going full auto would be better? I do not think i am interested in an auto shift, I drove in one and it shifted terrible. If the truck i was in was not the norm and someone can give me different feedback I would be happy to listen. I would like a truck pre 2007 to avoid the emissions components. I am trying to stay under 300,000 miles. I have been looking at Volvo's but I don't know that much about them. Pro's and con's on Volvo would be great. As far as suspension can anyone give suggestions as to air ride or not. I was told by a mechanic friend that Western Star cab wiring can be difficult to work on because all of the wires are the same color, wiring diagrams are not available and often times need to be taken to dealer for repairs. Any info like this would be great.
jakep is offline   Reply With Quote