View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbillh View Post
Thanks Good Info.I didn't know how the Mercedes were holding up.Sounds they would be hard to beat.One more question is rear ratio?
confused ??

sorry did mean to hi-jack your thread - just offering more info regarding the engines/trans. from what i can tell our MBE4000 is a mercedes only by the changed (logo) valve cover & a plastic cover on the side of the engine.

i forget what rear end gearing I've got, but id like to go slightly higher - just because i like to run faster (72 - 75 mph) than most (pusher owners)....and i could improve on the mpg if i could get the RPM under 1500 at 72mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbillh View Post
Should you get the tag axle or not?Thanks wmbillh.
on coaches like ours there is no "tag" axle - (tags on are single tire'd per side & they can be lifted)....on our coaches BOTH axles are DRIVEN (full diff's and duel wheeled/tired on each side).

the nice thing about our 2nd axles are the fact that you can lock each diff independently AND you can lock both axles together (ala 4 wheel drive).

i would have preferred the 2nd (driven) axle - for the added safety (blow out/tires) and having another set of brakes would be really nice...and i love the idea of 4 wheel drive

I go to a fair amount of races & sometimes end up parking in grass....even if i got stock - a tow truck would still be cheaper than having to buy 4 more tires (at roughly 750 per tire or 3k per rear axle)

if i were towing a STACKER trailer or big boat (like john - THUNDERUSONE) then i would DEFINITELY want the 2nd axle..... iirc THUNDERUSONE coach is nearly 12k or 18k lbs heavier than ours.....not sure WHY that is...but at his weight i'd want the 2nd axle too !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote