View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
hot rod

That hitch you built looks plenty sturdy. At least as good as any of the factory built stuff. And certainly stronger than the weak link of either the pin, the 4 bolts holding the ball on, or the shank of the ball itself. I have been as guilty as anyone else of overthinking and overbuilding and overbolting a hitch to the truck, and then look at the finished product and realize there is still just the one pin, and the one shank of the ball holding the whole rig together anyway. I know on my trailer saver hitch, there are 16 5/8" grade eight bolts holding it to the truck, and I couldn't talk myself into skipping drilling any of those 16 holes through the 1/2" steel plate deck it is bolted to, even though I knew in my head it was overkill and not the weak link anyway. I fabbed my bumper hitch similar to yours, but I used 2x4x1/4 tubing above and below the receiver tube. Your setup looks way beefier and cleaner, I like the way the receiver tube goes through the 8x8. Mine feels inadequate now, thanks!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote