Thread: Hi all
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Sculptor57

[QUOTE=bushpilot

The cost of component parts is really not that expensive - theyre quite plentiful actually, even shop labor rates is not bad....brake shoes are 26-40 bucks & drums are 75-100 (depending on the axle)....not that you'd have to replace them often (if ever) considering you get a few 100k miles out of a set.

Tires are considerably more expensive (considering acquisition cost alone) at about 700 bucks per tire - every 5-6 years but you can get 1/2 a million or more miles out of a tire.

the guys at RVHaulers.ca get about 80k for a singled/converted low mile tractor...which seems pricey to mean but that included the "smart" car deck too.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU Bushpilot! I even searched the websites of the truck repair shops and no clues were offered about prices. All this was good info.

I have heard there are newer trucks with disc brakes out there. I wonder if anyone here has heard of converting to disc? I would assume you would go straight to a new replacement axle. There might be no such thing as a retrofit.

I have checked out many of the Youtube videos from Greg. I have NO doubt his trucks are worth it. I can't put enough down on that amount to finance the rest. Right now my learning curve is steep, and that curve will intersect with just the cream puff I need, with the systems I want. At this stage I have no interest in a sleeper truck pulling a camper. So MY sights are set lower than some.

Kevin
Sculptor57 is offline   Reply With Quote