View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Iron Pony

Yes I know that a older truck doesn't have any resale value. But the new trucks are not very impressive and won't be getting any better. In My first post I said that I was a Heavy Equipment mechanic. As a master mechanic for some of the largest company's in the US. I was taking care of large fleets of trucks too. And can tell you that the cost's and down time on the new trucks is very expensive. Mostly due to the tier 3 diesel emissions, Particulate filters, DEF injection, EGR valves, and ultra high pressure injection systems. They are prone to failure, if you don't think so then you haven't drove by a truck dealership in this country lately. You see them on the side of the road all the time. And it has started whole industry's devoted to restoring older trucks because of it. So older trucks are worth more than ever, and the truck prices are starting to reflect it too. And I really don't care about resale value at all. As a mechanic I can keep this truck going for as long as parts can be had. So for Me it boils down to do I do the conversion or just sell the truck and go with a diesel pusher motorhome to pull my trailers. And I know it's My choice, but I make choices by trying to find out everything I can about something before I do. And that is what I'm doing here. One question I find is a real help is. If you built a toterhome or truckcoach would you do it again knowing what you know now. So please keep up the opinions and thanks
Iron Pony is offline   Reply With Quote