Thread: Hi all
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor57 View Post
Thanks BushPilot! Nice of you to shout out to the new guy.

Our camper is a 5k R-Vision Trail Lite, 26 feet. The camper is fine for our needs at this time, but too small to even consider for full time.

I have some boating background, and have read many accounts of the live-aboard experience. Some boats are designed for it and some are not. So I will approach our next rig with a strong bias toward sturdy and reliable.

The GMC I own is an 01 heavy half ton. I like the interior pretty well and the new models will be fine for me. I not had any problems with the engine. 5.3 is not 5.7. It's the American Axle components especially the rear axle and brake rotors that I have replaced so many times. The northern trucks are known for heavy corrosion of brake lines. GM refuses to talk about it. At 156k miles I have maybe $5000 into just these items. DE-ranting.......

Everyone knows the HDT's are engineered better for longer life, so I think I'm going to spend less money over time. On the other hand. a brake rotor might cost a weeks wages to replace. I hope to read more about this to help make up my mind.

I'm glad you asked!
hey you don't have to convince me (I've got an f350, crewcab, longbed, 4x4 w/ a gear vendors dbl overdrive & 50gal aux tank).....its a capable truck but it would not have the added margin (i desire) to pull a heavy load like an HDT.

i don't know about the cost of an HDT Rotor (not many have disc brakes, yet).

The cost of component parts is really not that expensive - theyre quite plentiful actually, even shop labor rates is not bad....brake shoes are 26-40 bucks & drums are 75-100 (depending on the axle)....not that you'd have to replace them often (if ever) considering you get a few 100k miles out of a set.

Tires are considerably more expensive (considering acquisition cost alone) at about 700 bucks per tire - every 5-6 years but you can get 1/2 a million or more miles out of a tire.

the guys at RVHaulers.ca get about 80k for a singled/converted low mile tractor...which seems pricey to mean but that included the "smart" car deck too.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote