View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Bob86ZZ4

I know a couple of guys that had F450's hauling moderately heavy 5th wheel campers. Both spent a bunch of money on upgrades trying to get them more capable. Both gave up and bought Volvo semi tractors. Both sold their F450's and had money left over. Both say the HDT is FAR superior in every way. Both said the F450 was not powerful enough and didn't have enough brakes. Now, go ahead and add a few thousand pounds to the frame of that F450 by putting living quarters on it. I think you'd not be happy.

A lot (most) of the HDT crowd (people using HDT's to haul their 5th wheel campers) are using Volvo tractors. They claim the Volvo has the tightest turning radius. Many of them single the rear axles (remove one of the drive axles) and put some sort of vehicle on the bed behind the sleeper. This often makes the truck slightly longer than a stock tractor. I don't hear any of them complaining that they can't get to where they want to go. Now, if you didn't need to place a vehicle on the deck you could make an HDT even shorter and I bet you'd be way ahead of that MDT (FL70 is no HDT) in power and maneuverability. And I bet a lot cheaper too.