View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
bushpilot

I caught a slow leak my left steer tire - with the TST Monitor....powered it on a couple days before a trip and discovered the tire was down to 90 psi....i pumped the tire up and came back the next day....pressure down again.

it was a bad valve stem (cracked at the base of the wheel & valve stem nut)....i believe, if anything cracked it, it was me or the guy who put the new steer tires on...the gauge i used (at the time) took quite a bit of pressure against the valve stem in order to get a reading and i likely fatigued the stem before i had the TST system.

my toad (wrangler) runs 18 inch wheels & has different pressure than the 22.5's on the coach....no problem for the TST system, different set points with different alarm set points.

i still perform VISUAL inspections of our tires when we stop or before we depart for a trip, but thats only good enough until the tire rolls (could pick up something in less than one revolution).

i know a lot of folks swear by laser thermometers - but they only work when you STOP and they don't tell you squat while you're driving (and sometimes we drive 12-16 hours straight).
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote