View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
hot rod

The Idaho Tote kind of scares me as an old school mechanic that likes everything overbuilt. The small diameter wheels run a ton more rpm on the highway and are more prone to bearing failures (picture that boat trailer you saw on the side of the highway sitting on a cement block while they are off looking for a bearing) and while I imagine it tracks nice going down the highway I can imagine the tote tires getting turned off track with the truck on rough ground and tight maneuvering and wrenching the whole works. Plus you are loading the car sideways which is technically over width by a few inches, and that deck looks high enough to be a challenge to load as compared to a trailer. I'd vote for the trailer, with one word of caution. You will likely have to special order the trailer with a longer tongue so that you can make a reasonable turning radius without the trailer hitting the truck, they generally upgrade to a 5' tongue from the standard 4' tongue to pull behind a motorcoach. Not a real expensive option, you just won't likely find one sitting on a lot like that. I like AJ's idea about a 8' or 8'6" box on the trailer, your smart would easily fit in a 7' box trailer, but you'd never see it in the mirrors, the 8' wide trailer would be way easier to back because you can see it. And if you are having it built, it is relatively cheap to add a foot or two of extra height for shelving for the wife's purchases on the road. Or to hang kayaks overhead, etc. Sort of a mini-stacker.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote