View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
dgorila1

Thumbs up Great feedback!

Thanks for all the feedback guys! That's why I like this site, because so many have already "been there, done that". I have thought about both the straight box truck conversion (like Doc) and a semi-trailer conversion as a shell, but I had in my mind that the walls are not well constructed for some reason. Thinking about it now though, they are built to handle commercial use so they have to be engineered and constructed much better than any regular RV. Another plus is any truck body repair shop should be able to repair the shell if it gets damaged since they are standardized construction. Thanks for refreshing me as I get closer to pulling the trigger on deciding which route to take.
I have considered a skoolie conversion as well, but I am 6'4" tall and would need to raise the roof on most buses if I went that route to have the headroom I want.
When I was searching previously I remember looking at drop deck moving trailers that would be great for building a variety of configurations. My mind keeps wandering back to a straight box truck though (like Doc has) because I could have the living quarters attached to the cab and pull a trailer if I need to haul my motorcycle or any other toys.
The questions about the warehouse rental are correct too. It would take quite some time if I went that route, where as if I buy a box truck I can park it in the back yard and work on it from the comfort of home.
What are the best sources for reliable box trucks? The large uhaul would be great but everything I have read over the years says to stay away from them because they are very used and abused by the time they sell them. Would commercial lease places like Hertz Penske be better? From what I have seen and heard they perform maintenance on them like clockwork and keep them in good shape.
Thanks for the replies. All feedback is greatly appreciated. Have a great New Year!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote