View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
dgorila1

Default Alternate idea - container on trailer

An alternate idea I have is to build (or have built) a 5th wheel trailer frame with independent rear suspension for a smooth, hopefully lower ride. If I can buy one from a manufacturer already built then it will already be titled and able to be licensed. The I could ideally rent warehouse space with an overhead crane where I could build out the container to my specs, using the crane to lift it when needed to work underneath as well as to install it on the trailer. The water/waste lines and tanks, generator/APU, electrical connections, etc could be mounted to the trailer and hooked up once the container was installed. I like the trailer idea from a logistics standpoint because it would be easier to build out, but since it is separate from the tractor I would lose the ability to jump into the drivers seat and drive away if needed without exiting the truck (i.e. overnight stops and a security situation arises). Also the concern of the overall length of the tractor/trailer setup when getting into campgrounds, although the straight truck would have this issue too. Thoughts on this idea vs. the straight truck build?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote