View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
J.H.

Default Best Way for any learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider001 View Post
Totally irrelevant!

I'm asking what is the best way to learn for a beginner. Where is the starting point? How do you acquire the skills & the education? Do you need to go to school? Read certain books? Watch certain dvd's?
Best way to learn anything in life is to "ask the right questions" and "listen patiently" to the answers. If your not sure of the right questions just keep on listening and they will come to you.

One of the things I know most about is box trucks, I run a fleet of them for service and repair on those evil rentals you spoke of. Most important thing to know about a Box truck is it's history, especially its work history if you can get it. The box itself for example wears out just like an engine or transmission. Budget / Penskey / Ryder take care of their trucks properly and often sell them before they have reached the end of their useful life like say U-haul who runs them into the ground and sells them long after they are a safety hazard on he road.
You can pick these up in 10' - 15' in very good condition for 8 - 9k, by very good condition I mean that you can put another 100k to 200k miles on them before any majors need to be replaced. I.E. items other than tires and brakes.

Before you would be able to get to the how to's on how to mod the truck to your liking, you would need to pencil a few things out to know where to start. Like how big of a foot-print do you need to live, how many people will share that space, how much access would you like to perishable food, the ability to cook it, do you both want hot showers daily, do you want a toilet inside or are you going to go looking for one when you need it.

Once you know where you want to go with it, the rest will be easier than you might think. Your going to need some basic safety / hand tool / power tool skills that you can find all you need to know about at the local public library.

I suspect though, until you learn what is actually "totally relevant" to encourage folks to share their expertise with you, that you are on a rough road. I should know I spent far to many years on that thoroughfare.

Good Luck to you, no disrespect intended.