View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
Kenn

I built my motorhome in three phases. Phase 1, I did mechanical upgrades to my 1982 truck and added six feet to the frame. I added a 50 gallon LPG tank and leveling jacks. I also had the front drive axle removed and new drive shafts built. Phase 2, I built the lower unit on the truck. My lower unit includes the compartments, water tank and holding tank. Phase 3, I built the living unit in my shop (looks like a big truck camper) and had if lifted onto the truck with a crane. After the crane put the living unit on the truck I welded the upper to the lower units and now I am working on the interior of the living unit.
Everyone that builds a T/C has a lot to think about. I built mine off the truck because my home shop has a 10' door. The truck without the stacks will clear and the living unit about 9' on casters cleared. I had to use 2" x 2" tubing for the floor braces on the lower unit and 1" x 2" for the floor of the living unit and then weld them together later. I agree with Hot Rod that building without the truck would be hard. Finding room to place all of the systems under a box is hard when you have the truck and I think muck harder without the truck but it could be done. On the plus side when I built the upper unit I could reach everything off an 8' ladder. One piece of advice I would give is to take your time finding the right truck and if it seems like a lot of $$$$ for the right truck that amount will shrink compared to what you will spend on the rest of the project.
When I started, Blizz advised me to find a used T/C and save a lot. He was right but I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed building my own version (for better or worse) of a motorhome. The time and money it takes to build one is BIG.
Good luck and asking a lot of questions is free.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000686.jpg   IM000694.jpg   IM000242.jpg   IM000804.jpg  
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote