View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Bob86ZZ4

Welcome to Truck Conversion dot Net! Great group of people here. And I'm happy to see another United Specialties owner. Pictures of your rig would be great!
I don't flat tow a dinghy so I'm not real smart about it. I'm pretty sure you want to have a braking system for it though. Most states require it. Even though the brakes on your truck should stop it with no problem. The biggest reason you'd want that braking system is if it breaks loose, and/or you get into a serious accident. Pretty sure you need breakaway system that will lock up the brakes if it gets loose. If you don't have that and it takes off and kills somebody you'd likely be looking at more legal problems than if you have the required system.
Does your hitch have a welded on 2 5/16" ball? Mine does. I'm not sure if the tow bar systems use a 2 5/16" ball. If you need a 2" ball you might want to get something like I had made. I wanted to be able to have a 2" ball, and also I often use one of those bike racks that needs a 2" receiver hitch to plug into. I had a guy weld me up this little gem out of 1/2" mild steel plate. Works great. Didn't cost much either.