View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
jbeech

Default TV, internet, backup cameras, and other stuff

OK, so I'm at the point where I am contemplating electronics for Moby.

1. A dedicated GPS instead of a cell-phone.

I like these two from Garmin.
Dedicated for RVs - RV 760LMT: http://tinyurl.com/kfqpwqw
Dedicated for Over the road truckers - dēzl™ 760LMT: http://tinyurl.com/khc7qcz

Basically they're the exact same 7" device, and accept one back up camera, but with software optimized for different clients.

Thoughts and opinions?

2. Dedicated back up camera system:
This $300 system,
* which I found through Northern Tools accepts three camera inputs, and switches via an included remote control. The basic system includes one camera head so I'd need to budget extra for two additional camera heads. I've not searched for these diligently yet (to see what they cost or how they connect) but if commonly available wired cameras work, these can cost as little as $10 each on eBay.

This quad system, available through a large mail order Rv outlet is considerably more pricey but looks interesting:
CoPilot $700

Finally, this 2.4GHz system, which accepts 4 cameras (available on eBay) looks especially interesting: 7" Wireless system $230 because I'm thinking of buying two, which gives me two receivers (monitors) plus two cameras. Then I buy two additional cameras, and mount one receiver in the cab and the other in the box and presto, it doubles as a security camera set up in lieu of windows (more later). Seems quite fairly priced.

Anyway, there are many examples, some quite inexpensive available via eBay: back up camera systems | eBay

Thoughts or examples of what you've done or are contemplating are welcome.

3. Television: I'm not really interested in mobile satellite TV but I'd be interested in what folks say about these and sattionary systems. However, I am mostly interested in antennas for receiving over the air broadcasts once we're where we're going though I am interested in any war stories about satellite TVs in general. Thus, any thoughts vice television reception would be appreciated. For what it's worth, I mostly anticipate being east of the Mississippi though I may range as far west as Texas. I really think broadcast TV will be good enough until I determine how we really use the truck but thoughts and war stories would be welcomed.

4. Security cameras: I don't plan to install windows in the truck so I am thinking about using security cameras to a monitor when I want to look outside. Depending on what I find, I have learned there are universal 2.4GHz wireless cameras and receivers for same available cheaply on eBay. These may also work by picking up signals from wireless back up cameras. Here's an example designed to connect to a computer (and no, I've not searched a lot further vice this category of equipment): USB Wireless 4 CH Channel Camera DVR Receiver Detecter | eBay

Again, thoughts/experience of what you've done or are contemplating welcomed.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote