View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
porky69

Default 2007 Haulmark with Freedomline Transmission

Went "looking" at RV's today and one dealer had just put a 2007 Haulmark 3329DS (which is built on a Freightliner Coronado chassis with a 515hp Detroit Diesel and a 12speed Meritor Freedomline tranny) on the lot just before we got there. Unit has less than 28,000miles on it and seems to be in excellent condition. Took for a test drive and it would not shift in auto mode, but shifted just fine manually. Told the salesman about it and he said "no problem" I will get that fixed and you can come back and test drive it. Asking Price is $169,000cdn which will include mechanical certification, 10new tires of my choice, full of diesel and propane.

Is it worth dealing on? I don't want to hear a whole bunch of "don't buy it, it is already broken" comments (my neighbor bought a VW that had a ton of miles on it and the check engine light was on, owner said he couldn't figure it out, took it home-spent $50 on a new sensor and drove it for another 5yrs so seemingly irrepairable stuff isn't always a bad deal).

I know that Meritor no longer sells them but how durable are they? Mechanically should be pretty tough but how problem prone are the electronics? I have a ZF service center about two hrs away.

I have a fair bit of experience with Allisons and they are great when they work but when things going strange they are a royal pain in the wallet to fix.....
porky69 is offline   Reply With Quote