Thread: Meet Moby
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
jbeech

It's been a while since I've updated the group on Moby. Since my last report we have been working on converting the box into something better suited for a team support vehicle (for my model helicopter business). The work involved in converting it from a cargo carrier, thus far, has largely tilted toward elbow grease versus money.

This has involved sandblasting rusty things, sanding the wood deck, along with paint, and wall covering. These efforts are the foundation for what follows, e.g. the fixtures and displays. Fixtures being things like aluminum wall lockers (polishing aluminum is both laborious and dirty), as well as work tables.

Next up, I have to build a bulkhead (wall) to create a small a private area (for a shower and toilet). While this reduces the the 24' long box by 4', I have no choice because Lynn abhors the chemical toilets (Port-'o-Johns), which event organizers typically offer - in short, she's insisted.

I also have yet to wire the box for lighting and power (via a generator) as well as plumbing, communications, and entertainment. However, the reason I've left this for later is the first order of business has been to strive to figure out 'how' we want to use the space. Moreover, since the electrical will be exposed (within metal conduit), leaving it for later has no immediate negative repercussions. Ditto the plumbing.

All this has been eating into my spare time, but our flying season is cranking up (since few want to stand in the middle of field flying toy models when it's cold, windy, and wet) and I now find myself a bit behind on this project. However, the planning and execution have been both interesting and fun (if I discount the sore muscles).

Anyway, if you've been following the Moby build, consider yourself updated!
Attached Thumbnails
Sandblasting loops (3).jpg   Masking-after.jpg   Wall-covering-cutting5.jpg   Sidewalls-finished-(2).jpg   Polishing (4).jpg  

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote