View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
hot rod

I have not had direct experience with add on steering stabilizers, but my Dad added one to his class A rv years ago and reported better handling. For myself, I had a chevy 1 ton 4x4 with a straight axle that had a god awful shimmy in the steering at about 45 mph. After changing virtually everything else under the front end, I finally changed the shock on the factory steering stabilizer and the shimmy went away.

I would think that a guy that was handy with a welder and a little mild fabrication (ie anybody on this site!) ought to be able to make one of the kits for a pickup work. They basically clamp to the tie rod and bolt to the axle on a supplied bracket, and it should not be too hard to modify the bracket. My only question would be if it would be enough for the higher weight of the tires/wheels on your truck vs. a pickup. They do have dual stabilizers as well, and some of those lifted 4x4's have pretty heavy tires. I would suggest National Tire & Wheel Off Road Tires Wheels & Accessories as they carry all brands and may be able to direct you to a kit that is closest to what you want to do.

Google "steering stabilizer" and a ton of pics on stock and modified pickups pop up, maybe one of those custom will give you a good idea.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote