View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
IGBT

Default Thinking of starting with a reefer

I have found a 20 foot International 4700 reefer with only 70k miles and the dt466e engine, 4 spd auto.

It has a rollup rear door, aluminum walls and floor, kemlite insulation (whatever that is), and a side door. I would change out the rear rollup door for swing barn doors and add a full width 8 foot ramp since this will be a motor garage for our dirt bikes.

It seems a huge start to begin with a refrigerated truck, saving thousands in materials and hours of labor. I also like the aluminum vs wood interior. Why do more people not do this?

We would remove the refrigeration unit and build a 5 foot overhang (class C rv style) out of fiberglass or aluminum sheet. This would be the main permanent bed.

Since the whole unit is insulated, I don't think I would build a walll separating the garage from the living area...the 4 stroke WR250R dirt bikes are not very smelly anyway and it would save some work and space not having a wall and door inside.

My big unknown is how a international 4700 drives in offroad, mud, sand, snow. We want to take this to Alaska and Arizona...but I am not talking about driving in 4 feet of snow, just being able to handle small amounts during the crossover seasons. By offroading I mean dirt roads on BLM land, but not rock climbing or anything. It is a 25,500 GVW truck, but it does have a long 216" wheelbase with a relatively short 20 foot box and 22.5" wheels. This seems it would actually give decent ground clearance and decent exit angle, at least vs a normal class C RV or heaven forbid a low riding class A.

What do you guys think?
IGBT is offline   Reply With Quote