Thread: 30/50 Amp Wire
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
AKat777

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
seems to me that if you could wire for 30a (or even 50a) and never used it, youd
be money ahead for future upgrades that may require more current.

you can always use a plug adapter -

I partially agree. But as we all know, 50amp wire is about 3 bucks a foot. 30amp wire is around a dollar a foot. And swapping that end of it out is quite easy with the current set up (no pun intended). Swapping the wire going into the box to power the RV is easy and simple. Swap breakers, and plug in.

The catch, and there is always a catch, is knowing what type of power will be available at each location. I would be wasting money to set up 50 amp wire from the breaker box to the camp power if there is no 50amp available. And you always have to be very careful if you downsize your plug at the power input. You can accidently melt adapters and burn wiring by drawing too much power through a 'lesser' adapter, ie pulling 50 amps through a 30 amp adapter, or 30 amps through a 20 amp adapter.. I would much rather play it safe, run a couple 20 amp cords, place 15 breakers in the box, and have 30 amps available on a single bus. That way I know I am not going to overburden the system coming in, because the breakers will trip if more than 15 amps is pulled into the RV per leg.
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote